Friday, December 28, 2012

A miraculous story

Ima tell you a miraculous story. Some of you already know. The daycare I work for has been on a VERY steep down hill slide, mostly financially, for the past 6 months. It started with a huge drop in enrollment, that was a result of the Federal Gov't cutting funds to needy families for childcare. I can't say I disagree with the gov't move on this one, If the parent is not working, then they do not NEED childcare. Too often I see parents who bring their kids in, and are still in pajamas themselves. Obviously not going anywhere or doing anything. (also Im fine with parents who are in school, getting aid from the system) It's infuriating not only because it irritates me that they are abusing the system, but the child knows that you are just "getting rid of them" for the day. To do whatever, and yea we all need me time, but not at that kind of cost.
anyway. That is what started this financial crisis.
Out of the blue, shortly after that (and after a series of child injuries, and my boss blaming her apathy on "depression") my boss announces that she is leaving town to go live in a city 12 hours away, because that is where her husband found work. She was leaving immediately, practically overnight.
She appointed two of the teachers to be "Directors" and bounced.
Leaving us in a building that was slowly slipping out of code, and a playground that is nearly bare because of code violations, and a dwindling enrollment.
Enrollment continued to drop as more and more parents took their kids to headstart, because it's free. Which hasn't been a problem in past years, but for some reason this year we lost HALF of our pre-K to public schools.
My room remained the same through this BUT, to solve a few problems in another part of the building, my boss took the second teacher out of my room and put her in another room. She then realized that I can do most of the work in my room, alone. And instead of giving me a full time aid, she put a part time aid in my room with me. first she was working 35 hours a week. Then she was working 30 hours, she finally had enough and quite realizing she might never have full time hours. So then I got another aid. who worked 30 hours a week. This is when my enrollment started dropping. Parents where confused by all the changes, and concerned. I have 5 kids on roll right now. The lowest I have ever had, ever.
By the time my enrollment hit 6, my aid was pulled from my room to assist other parts of the building.
I have been alone in my room since august.
I can not leave my room unless I get another teacher to leave her class to watch my kids, OR take my kids with me. which ever is easier. You can imagine the pains in needing to go to the bathroom.
Shortly after that our hours were cut (first week in September) we all had to give up a day a week.
I took fridays
This lasted until mid Nov. then we got them back somehow.
The payday before christmas (friday)
A handfull of our employees had their checks bounce.
Then we had an unpaid snowday (which was news to us, we usually get paid for snow days)
Then yesterday, we were told we would not be getting a paycheck this week. Due to lack of funds in the payroll account.
We were going to enter a bi-monthly pay system, effective immediately
It's right after christmas, we are all broke, and were expecting a paycheck to pay our rent on the first, which is tuesday.
And now we can't
due to no fault of our own
the miraculous part is that even after ALL OF THIS
we still showed up today
to work
and will still show up monday
even though we know we weren't getting paid today
and there is a high chance we might not get paid next week either
we were there
taking care of the kids

what was really beautiful is our attitudes
thursday we were all in shock, in a panic, sad, and hurt
and today, even though we were still strung out because of the stress and chaos
there was a deep sense of love between the workers.
Like we really cared for each other
Everyone was asking each other if they were ok, and if they got their bills rearranged
and there were a few moments where we would catch each other, just starring into space
lost in thought
and we'd laugh
because there just isn't anything else we can do


No comments:

Post a Comment