Friday, January 1, 2016

K is for Kids Chapter 2

Time passed. Before we knew it summer was over, and we were all back in school. Trent and Jacob lived in the next city over, so Mandy and I didn't see them much anymore. But we kept going to that little art gallery downtown, Kronos. I ended up getting a job at the coffee shop next to the gallery, and Mandy got a job at the bistro on the other side. Our days consisted of school, work, then Kronos for as long as we could. One day I decided to bring my art portfolio to the gallery. We had gotten to know the gallery owner pretty well by this point, so I thought he might be willing to give me some artistic advice.
"Hey Kris!" I said climbing the stairs of the gallery.
"Hey Charley."
Today he had a bottle of wine in hand, no need for a glass I suppose.
I checked my phone. Mandy had sent me a text. "I have to seat two more tables, then I'll be there."
Damn. Hopefully it won't take too long. I walked into the back room to see if there was anything new. Another friend of mine was sitting on the couch.
"Oh hi Mae! Whats up?" I asked and sat down next to her.
"I smell like cigarettes and beer." she said sniffing her shirt. "And three groups decided not to tip me tonight. What the fuck is wrong with people?"
Mae's place of work was interesting. It was called Mario's. The downstairs was a fancy, wanna-be 4 star restaurant. But the upstairs was one of the most rowdy bars in our area. I honestly don't know how she does it, she goes from waiting on rich assholes to clearing bottles and glasses behind the bar and everything in between.
She leaned her head on the back of the couch and sighed. "What a shitty fucking night."
I heard the toilet flush in the bathroom.
"Who else is here?" I asked.
"Loren. She had a shitty night too."
Loren was in her mid twenties and worked with Mae. She was a 5 foot nothing hurricane. You did not want to mess with her. She mostly tended the bar at Mario's, and I have seen her kick a man twice her size out. Dragging him basically by nothing but his nose hair down three flights of stairs and into the street. Cussing like a sailor the whole way. She was Mae's hero and was quickly becoming one of mine. She walked out of the bathroom, right up to Kris, and snatched the bottle of wine out of his hand. "Thanks!" She said, and came to sit with us.
"Oh hey Charley!" she said, squeezing in between Mae and I. "Where is Mandy?"
"Still at work." I said checking my phone again. "She said she'll get out soon."
Her and Mae laughed a little. "In restaurant language that could mean HOURS!" Loren said taking a swig of wine, and passing me the bottle. I opened my mouth to say something along the lines of "But we are minors" but decided it didn't really matter. I took a swig and passed the bottle to Mae, who nearly drowned herself in it.
"Ok, Ok jeez lady." Loren said grabbing the bottle. "Slow down!" She stood up and walked into the other room, tossing the bottle back to Kris, and laying down on the futon. Mae and I followed, finding various spots to sprawl out.
"So Kris, when are we going to do that poetry night?" Loren asked.
"A poetry night?" I asked. "Would you read your work Kris?"
"That's the idea kid." Kris said stretching a bit.
"Loren your going to read too right?" Mae asked.
Loren and Kris were VERY good poets. Kris once performed one of his poems, "The Bus Stop", while we were hanging out, and it left me in tears. On the floor. Face down.
"Yes I will." Loren smiled. "If this guy ever gives me a date!"
This was my chance. I could show Kris my portfolio, then after I wow him, I could say "I'll totally make the poster for poetry night!" followed by "please, please, please, please!"
I stood up. "That reminds me, I brought something I'd like to show you!" I quickly ran into the other room and came back with my fancy leather portfolio. I sat down on the floor indian style, and slowly unzipped the heavy duty zipper. To me, this was ritual. Then I carefully laid the portfolio open to reveal the first painting, carefully placed in the front sleeve. Kris came over and looked down at it.
"Uh huh." he said nodding a little. I waited for the "Wow! That is wonderful!" but it never came. Panicked I flipped to the next painting. Kris titled his head. "Uh huh." This time I stared at him for a minute. This was not going like I had planned it. I choked back a few tears and turned to the next painting. This time Kris bent down and picked up my portfolio, and took it back to his desk. Slowly he flipped through the rest of the paintings. I looked over at Mae and Loren. They were fighting back giggles. I glared at them. Rude. Someone was coming up the stairs.
It was Mandy. I stood up and ran to give her a hug, Mae followed.
"Dude what took so long?" Loren asked as we group hugged/tackled Mandy to the floor.
Mandy just stared up at the ceiling "What is the point of life?" She said sarcastically.
We laughed a little and sat up. "What's going on here?" She asked nodding her head towards Kris who was still examining my portfolio.
"Charley is showing Kris her art." She said laughing.
"Yea except I don't know what that is funny Mae!" I said pushing her.
"Look at him!" She said pointing to Kris.
"Dude Charley, you know what he is going to say." Mandy said.
Kris was known for being a critic, about everything. But I am good. Or well, at least I think I am good.
"Yea whatever guys, I just want some feedback." I said sort of pouting.
Mandy put her arm around me. "It's ok, I am sure it'll be fine" She said.

Kris finally looked up. "You are good Charley, but all of this is crap." he said flipping the pages back. My mouth fell open, Mandy's hand tightened on my shoulder. "Well, all except this one." He said holding up a water color I had done of a Geisha. Mandy's hand loosened then she whispered "Hey he likes one of them, that is impressive right?" I gave her a half smile and stood up to get my portfolio.
"You like that one?" I asked.
"Yea, this one has real feeling behind it. And these colors," He said pointing to the sun set. "I really like those."
I held in a scream, and politely put my art away.
"Wait, leave the geisha one out." Kris said.
"Why?" I asked pulling it out of it's sleeve.
"Can I hang it up in the gallery?" He asked.
My mouth fell open again.
Loren nudged my shoulder.
"Yes." I said smiley. "Yes you can."

No comments:

Post a Comment