Friday, January 8, 2016

K is for Kid Chapter 14

I sold 23 of the 48 pieces. A Kronos record! I needed that money too. The college I was supposed to go to was already breathing down my neck for payments.
The show did really well too. Kris made sure we had our three top local bands in the line up. Embers from the Alter,  Secret Ninja Death Squad, and Pablo and the Dregs. That night we have well over 200 people come through. The band room was packed so tightly, and people were so sweaty that people had to leave periodically just to breathe real air. People were getting so tightly squeezed that even before the first band had finished a few pit fight broke out. Generally there weren't many most pits at Kronos, because there was a lack of room. But Embers always seemed to bring a crowd that just did not care, and would swing their extremities with out any regard to the people around them. A lot of people liked that. Zane was one of those people. He looked forward to the Embers mosh pits, and would often start them himself. But that night was not a good night for a pit. Most of us knew it. We'd look around at everyone all crammed together, then look at each other like "oh well." But there was this one burly ass kid that decided he did not care, and he was going to mosh. It started slow like it usually does. Then he'd bump into someone. If that someone was chill, they'd just sort of push him in a different direction. Then he'd bump into someone else, and they'd push him in another direction. Eventually he bumped into someone who was not very chill. A kid larger than him, whom I had never seen crack a smile. When the burly kid bumped into him, he grabbed him and shoved him hard in the other direction. It was like watching someone throw a bowling ball, when the burly kid hit the wall of innocent bystanders, he knocked like 10 of them down. They all stood up, some shook it off. Other sought revenge and went after him, or whomever was closest to them. But, of course, they did it in a dancy fashion. You know, mosh dancing style. So a most pit broke out. I shot a panicked look to Zane. A sort of "Don't you dare get in that." mixed with "Omg we need to stop this." Zane stepped forward and tried to put the burly kid in a sleeper hold. But Zane was like half this kids size so he just kept thrashing around as Zane tried to hang on and get control of this kids arms. He'd get one in a hold, and the kid would trash it free, then he'd get the other, and rinse repeat. I saw Mandy had jumped in to try and move people away from getting mauled. I wondered if I should try to get Kris, I looked back. There was a sea of people between me and the Window Kris stands in to watch the shows. I wondered if he was watching what was going on too. I looked back over to Zane and the burly kid. He almost had him. His arms were locked with the kids and he was trying to lace his fingers behind the kids head. I could tell it was a struggle. I started making my way towards the pit. The kid bent down sideways, and jerked himself back up. Losing Zane in the process, who hit the floor. When the kid came back up, his arm flew around and hit this girl square in the nose. She had been standing in front of her boyfriend who had his arms around her waist. Her arms flew up to hold her face. I saw blood run between her fingers. I jumped over and around people to get to her.
"Zane!" I yelled as he was standing up. "Get her out of here!" I said pointing the girl and her now pissed off boyfriend. Mandy jumped in and grabbed the boyfriend to try and calm him down. I saw Kris coming in through the back entrance. He must have seen it. The burly kid was still swinging his arms. There was no way I'd be able to get him to stop. I had to stop the band. Hopefully Kris will be able to do something. I ran up to the singer and waived my hands in his face.
"Dude stop, stop!" I yelled now attempting to get the entire bands attention.
They all stopped and everything was quiet.
In that moment I turned to see Kris grab the back of this kids shirt, with both hands, and drag his ass out of the band room. I don't know if he threw him down the stairs, carried him down the stairs or what. But by the time I got back out to the lobby area, that kid was no where in sight.
"Charley..." Zane said coming out of the bathroom. "Her nose is broken."
"FUCK!" said Kris stomping off into his office.
"Can she get home?" I asked.
"Yea, her boyfriend is taking her." Zane said as they both came out of the bathroom, and silently left.
"Ok..." I said trying to breathe. "Ok.."
The drummer came out into the lobby.
"What the Fuck just happened." he asked.
"That girl just got her nose broke." I said.
The lead singer poked his head in. "Dude that's fucking metal."
"Oh yea dick head, a lawsuit is so fucking metal!" I yelled.
It was quite for a minute. People were starting to get antsy, not to mention nosey.
I looked at the drummer. "Finish your set." I said turning to the singer. "Tell everyone No more fucking Moshing!"

They finished their set and the other two bands played with out another incident. We decided that we needed to make some sort of policy for moshing, or have some sort of safety to insure that this kind of thing wouldn't happen again. But we never came to a conclusion. By the end of the night after everyone left, we were all so tired we all just passed out in the gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment