Saturday, January 2, 2016

K is for Kid Chapter 10.

Eventually everyone left the Gallery. Everyone except Mandy, Mae, me and oddly enough Zane.
Kris came in the room. "Alright, time to go." He said turning off the lights.
I stood up and grabbed my had off Zane's head and headed outside.
"Wait!" Zane shouted nearly falling down the stairs. "Can you give me a ride home?"
"Me?" I said.
"Yea" He said. "please!"
I looked at Mae. "Don't look at me, I'm already taking Mandy home." Her and Mandy got in her car.
"Bye!" They said pulling away.
I looked at Zane. "Fine, get in."
He hopped in the passenger seat. I started the car.
"Actually can you take me my friends house he's having a party I want to go to." He asked.
"Where does your friend live?" I asked.
"Over by the elementary school." he answered.
"Sure." I said. I was too tired to argue.
We drove listening to my new Trivium cd. It was a good night, I thought to myself.

I pulled up in front of the house Zane had told me to go to. All of the lights were off.
"Are you sure this is the right one?" I asked looking at the dark house.
"This is his house." Zane said. "Maybe they are in the basement, that is usually where they party."
"Ok, see ya." I said.
Zane hopped out of the car, and I drove off.
I almost got home and my phone buzzed.
It was a text message.
"Hey it's Zane, Mae gave me your number, my friend isn't answering his door. Can you come get me?"
Fucking MAE! I thought.
"I guess. You need a ride home?"
"Yea."

So I turned around and drove back to the dark house. Zane hopped back into the car.
"Alright, where do you live?" I asked rubbing my eyes.
"AAACCCTTTUUAALLLY." He said. "I can't really go home. It is past my curfew and my parents will kill me."
You have got to be kidding me, I thought.
I stared at him for a minute.
"Ok look, my dad is at guard duty for the weekend, so if you need a place to crash, you can crash at my house."
"Really?" he asked. "Thank you! I owe you one."
"Yea whatever." I said turning up the music.

When we got to my house I pulled out my big art bin. "I am going to go through my art. I usually do this in the living room but since you are crashing on the couch I can take this to my room if you want to sleep." I said yawning myself.
"Im not tired." he said. "And I'd like to see some of your art."
So I started pulling out various pieces and deciding whether or not to trash them. Ever since Kris had told me everything in my portfolio was crap, I decided to be a little more strict on what I do and do not keep. I had also been changing my style a little. Being in advanced studies for the arts gave me a lot of opportunity to experiment and grow as an artist. I was developing a knack for "found object art". Anything I found became an art piece. I pulled out a traffic cone that I had cut in half, a hub cap that I had broken, a burned out light bulb, a rusty knife, literally anything. Some of the stuff I had painted, some of the stuff I had yet to do anything with. I started making piles.
"This is really good." Zane said holding up a piece of wood I had painted silhouettes on.
"Eh" I said. "I'm probably going to trash that one. Unless I can re-use the wood."
"NO!" said Zane. "Can I have it?"
"...sure I guess." I said and kept sorting.
At some point we both fell asleep. On the couch.



I woke up first. Somehow Zane had managed to wrap his legs around my torso, so it was a struggle to get free.
WTF? I thought. How the hell did he manage to get his legs around me in a death grip. Does he do this shit to his teddy bears? That's fucked up...
I tried really hard to get free with out waking him up, but I failed.
His eyes popped open.
"Shit." I said. "Sorry I didn't mean to wake you up, but you are holding me hostage..."
He looked down at his legs. Then he laughed. Then he tightened them more!
"DUDE! WTF let me go!"
We both fell off the couch and hit the floor. Eventually I got one arm free and punched him hard in the stomach.
"OOF!" He said and loosened his grip.
I wiggled free, stood up, and proceeded to cuss him out. Which he thought was hilarious.
I rolled my eyes and went into the kitchen to make coffee.
He followed.
"I gotta work at noon, where do I need to take you?" I asked.
"Um... just take me to the skate park." He said grabbing a mug.
"Oh sure. Help yourself!" I said sarcastically.

No comments:

Post a Comment