Friday, January 22, 2016

K is for Kids Chapter 17

4 of the 5 people showed up.

"Where is the fifth person?" I asked Mandy. "Who is the fifth person?"

"I don't know, everyone I called said they were on their way." She looked at her list. "Oh! It's John!"

"Uh guys... " Mae said running into the room staring at her phone. "John just posted on the event page that he can't make it and that someone could have his spot."

"WHAT!?" I shouted. "No 'someone' can't have it. WTF JOHN?!"

"I'm going to call him." said Mandy.

I looked around for Zane. Where was he? I spotted his friend that he went to get, but where is he?

I called him.

"Zane! Where are you?" I asked

"Uh, well. I thought maybe I should grab a few Monsters to restock our supply." He said sort of out of breath. "But then someone shouted that there was an open spot at Kronos. And uh well... " He paused to take a breath. "There are a lot of people coming your way."

Oh fuck.

"Kris!" I shouted as I hung up the phone. "We have a problem."
I started to explain what happened when we heard Liz yelling, "There is only one spot. I'm sorry!"

I ran out to the stair well. There were people crammed in the stair well. Liz shot me a WTF look. I saw Zane at the bottom of the stair attempting to make his way through.

Mandy came in. "John said he didn't give his spot to anyone specific so..." she trailed off when she saw the sea of people on the stairs. "Oh my god."

Liz stood up and left her seat, handing me the one bracelet.

"What do we do?" I asked. Do we give the bracelet to the next person on the list like we had planned. Is that person even in the sea of faces here?

I looked back into the band room, the band was ready. We had to make a decision.

Kris came in. "Just pick someone." He said.

Oh good. I thought. This will be fun.

I handed the bracelet to the first person in line that had their money out.

Zane and Mandy started attempting to get everyone else back down the stairs and out the door.

Some people started getting rough, and started pushing each other. Zane put himself between a few of them and ended up getting pushed down the stairs himself. He took a few other people with him. Mandy followed in the gap his fall created and helped him up. He seemed a little shaken but continued to try and usher people out. Kris stepped in and made himself a human wall as he made his way down the stairs. I stood my ground at the top of the stairs watching the slow moving chaos get pushed through the door. I heard the band start in the background. Liz came back to her seat. A little less shaken.

I took a deep breath.

As the last of the people were pushed out the door, I heard yelling coming from directly outside. I ran to the window, threw it open, and leaned out over the edge. Two kids were screaming at the top of their lungs at each other. Talking shit. Then one kid pushed the other, and the other kid pushed back. The door was still packed with people. "Shit." I thought. "Kris, Mandy, and Zane can't get through." Shit shit shit. The pushing and shit talking continued, I saw Zane break through he crowded door way.
"Zane!" I yelled pointing to the two kids.
He looked around confused. I kept pointed, and then started yelling. "Stop!" and "Don't do that shit here!" and other things, but they couldn't hear me over the roar of the crowd and the band.

Zane finally saw what I was point to. The two kids had gone from pushing to grabbing and sort of sparing. Then one kid flat out punched the other kid in the teeth.

SHIT!

The other kid hit back, and soon they were both on the ground.

Zane got to them and tried to jump in to break it up, but was grabbed by some other kid and thrown down. Zane pushed the kid off of him, and soon they were fighting too! Then two or three other kids started throwing punches. Kris finally made his way out, Mandy was right behind him. They started trying to get people to leave and break up the fighting. Then we all heard it.
A siren.
We all looked up and saw blue lights.
My heart sank.
Everything stopped.
Two cop cars pulled up to the curb. Some kids started to run, other's stood frozen in fear.

I watched as some kids were cuffed, others were questioned. I turned away from the window. The band had stopped playing in the other room. I heard Liz calling my name.

"What's going on?" she asked.

I told her what I saw.

Some people started making their way out of Kronos.

"Hey, uh, do we need to pack up?" the drummer of the band asked.

I nodded. "Yea go ahead."

"What if the cops come up?" Liz asked panicked.

"Let them in." I said. "We have nothing to hide. The show is over anyway."

Kris came up the stairs cussing.

Shit! Zane!

I ran down the stairs.

Zane was sitting on the bench. Most of the other kids were gone.

"Omg!" I said sitting next to him.

"I don't know what happened." He said. "I just don't know."

I put my arms around him. " I saw most of it from the window it's ok."

"No it's not." Mandy said. " They arrested like 5 kids!"

"For what?!" I asked.

"Fighting!" Zane said. "Duh!"

He stomped off into Kronos.

"Dude they are going to find a way to pin this on us." Mandy said also walking off.

I stood up to follow.

"Hey, no way. No way they can pin this on us. We did everything in our power to keep things under control. No freaking way." I said.

We got to the top of the stairs.

Kris turned around and looked me straight in the face.
"They will find a way." Is all he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment