Friday, January 1, 2016

K is for Kid Chapter 3

Loren was able to pin down a date for the poetry night. It would be the same night as our homecoming dance. I had arranged for Jacob and Trent to take Mandy and I to homecoming, but had to figure out if we could also go to the poetry night.
"I think we should skip homecoming" Mandy said hopping into the passenger side of my van.
"No way!" I said starting the engine. "I already bought my dress and I had to drive all the way to Harrisonburg to get it."
Mandy sulked down in her seat and turned up the stereo. I had a Rise Against CD in. I left a few songs play then I turned it down.
"We can do both Mandy." I said assertively.
She scoffed.
I pulled over.
"Ok WTF?" I said trying to get her to look at me. "I don't get it. What is wrong with you? We can do the poetry night, then the dance, then back to kronos. OR we can do the dance, then poetry night and just stay at kronos. We have options Mandy."
She glared at me for a minute then spoke. "I don't get why Trent and Jason HAVE to come."
"What? They are our boyfriends?" I said confused. "Why wouldn't they come?"
"Maybe because I didn't invite them, Charley!" She yelled.
"WTF does that mean Mandy?!" I yelled back.
We sat in silence for a few minutes. Then Mandy spoke.
"I want to go to homecoming, but have it just be us." she said.
I started to say "But what about Jason and Trent?" but she stopped me.
"And I don't want it to just be us at homecoming, I want it to just be us period." She said.
I stared at her for a minute.
oh.

I sat back in my chair.

oh shit.

"Are you saying you want our relationship to be just us?" I asked stupidly.
"Yes. It has to be either Jason or me." she sighed. "I feel like there isn't much room for me, I don't think I really like Trent, but I really like you. So you need to choose."
"WTF I see you every day. I only see Jason on the weekends, and that's if one of us isn't working."
"Yea but all you do is talk about him. That is all I hear about!" her voice was shaking now.

I started the car and started driving again.
My mind started to race.
What was I going to do? I loved what we had, it was exciting. If I chose Jason, would that mean that Mandy and I wouldn't be friends anymore? Should I chose Mandy? I think I love Jason, I mean I love Mandy, but it's different with Jason. What a stupid predicament to be in, especially right before homecoming. Couldn't she wait until after the dance. I coordinated our outfits and everything! GAAAHHHH. Nothing perfect lasts.

I pulled into the parking garage, and got out.
"When are you going to let me know?" she said sadly.
We walked out of the parking garage and I lead her to a bench, and sat down.

"Mandy, do you remember when you told me that you sometimes get sick to your stomach when you kiss Trent?" I asked.

"Yea."

"I don't feel that way when I kiss Jason. I feel something else." I blushed a little. "I think I love him Mandy."

Her face went white. She sorta smiled/frowned, a combination of the two. Stood up. And walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment