Thursday, August 15, 2013

Memory #James and the Giant Peach

This is a funny memory
it is when we lived on a Farm, that I was recently informed is IN montana. I thought it was in Oregon. But my childhood time line is all screwed up so, bare with me as I work out the kinks.

So Helena, MT. I might have been 4? I can not remember if Dalten was born yet or not, so that makes it hard. Most of my memories have him in them, so it is a little weird that he is not in this one. (which is kinda scary bc that means the bulk of my memories and stories come from 2 years of life so...wow) But I want to say he was born, because I vaguely remember a lecture from mom, telling me not to jump off the deck into the swamp because there were bugs, and I shouldn't set a bad example for my brother. So. theres that. but That could be another misplaced memory.

ANYONE on to the silly story
We had just moved in. All the lectures were over. (don't go past the mailbox, stay out of the swamp, only ride the horses if an adult is with you, leave the cows alone. blah blah blah) And I was set free to roam the place. It seemed like a log cabin. everything was wood. I remember this was the first time I lived in a place with brown walls. and all wood floors. and there was a front porch and a back deck. With sliding glass doors (which seemed to follow us to every house we lived in!) I can not remember if I was playing in the room that was suppose to be mine, or if it was a designated play room/ tv room or what. I have a faint memory of there being stairs, so im thinking the bedrooms were upstairs. but I have no memory of them OR the bathroom, which is odd. But anyway. After exploring the place a bit, I found myself in this room. A TV and a computer were hooked up. I remember my stepdad showing me how to play a video game on the computer. They revolved around nursery rhymes. "She'll be common around the mountain when she comes!" and such. I don't remember the actual game, or what the point was. But it was moderately entertaining. And by moderately I mean it kept me occupied for a whole 5 minutes. Then I started digging through boxes, in hopes that I found a movie. Because my favorite thing to do is watch TV. I tipped over a few boxes and made a few bangs. But finally I found the box of movies! The first movie I pulled out was "James and the Giant Peach" It looked interesting. And somehow it reminded me of one of my favorite movies "Mars Attacks" which is a movie my mother could not stand. Which made it even better. So naturally I shoved that movie in the VHS, and sat two inches in front of the TV to watch the entire thing. The peach in the movie looked so good! It was juicy, and orange, and everyone was eating big sloppy chunks of it. I was literally drooling. So I stopped the movie and went to ask mom for a peach. I walked by the kitchen and saw the fruit bowl on the breakfast bar. IT HAD A PEACH IN IT. I slid one of the bar stools out and climbed up it, reached out for the peach, and wrapped my hand around it. It was furry.
shocked I dropped it. Then chased it across the kitchen to the glass doors. I picked it up and looked at the forbidden swamp. Either I was going to get in the swamp or eat the furry peach. I had to pick one, I picked the peach. The movie didn't have a furry peach, but I figured it was nothing and opened my mouth very wide and CHOMP! took a very large chunk out of it. It sat in my mouth for a second. I felt the little hairs touch my tongue. It was the most disgusting taste I had ever experienced. I quickly opened the glass door and ran to the edge of the deck and spit that nasty peach out! Then I threw my peach as far as I could into the mud. My mom came running out right after that. "What are you doing?" "You better not be trying to get in the swamp!" "Why did you throw that peach!"
After some confusion and chaos, Mom figured out all that had happened. and laughed her ass off. Then told my step dad so he could laugh his ass off. It was not funny to me. I was very upset.
My mom went into the kitchen and grabbed another peach. Then explained that you have to take the skin off, just like an orange, And then you can eat it. She peeled one for me, but I still wouldn't touch it. I did not try another peach until I was 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment